The Chief

Massapequa Field Hockey team takes home the county championships

Sabrina Alberti, Sports Editor

The field hockey team brought home a county championship yet again for Massapequa. The team left their home turf defeating Port Washington in a 2-1 victory in overtime.

The game was held on October 28th at 3 o’clock at Berner Middle School. Because the county championship games have been held at Adelphi University in the past years, the team was ecstatic to host the important game in their hometown for the first time.

Both teams played with determination and it was obvious they both wanted to be victorious. As Port Washington was very aggressive towards Pequa’s midfield.

From the start, the Massapequa offense dribbled the ball down the field in the goal in a short amount of time. Senior Claire DeSilva set the bar high as she scored the first goal making the score a 1-0 lead.

After a short period of time, Port Washington let the Chiefs know they were focused to win by scoring a goal tying the game right before halftime. Both teams played hard but it wasn’t enough to score before overtime.

Starting Junior forward Molly Gerasci took Port Washington’s fury to her advantage as she scored the winning goal in overtime. “You never want to find yourself in an overtime situation.” Molly said. “But knowing the team we are, we went in confident and put everything we had onto the field.” She was awarded the game ball for her accomplishment at the end of the game.

The defensive line did not back down from Port Washington’s intimidating forwards. Senior defender Paige Landy did just that. “The feeling of winning counties is indescribable.” Paige said. “It’s sad to think this is my last time playing with this family to win a county championship but it is so exciting to be a champion again”  This was the team’s second time in a row winning the Class AA county championship.

The girls were looking forward to this meaningful game the start of the season and finally came out on top.

As Molly scored the winning goal, the buzzer beater sounded and the girls knew they accomplished a goal they have been working towards all season. The crowd roared from the stands as the team rushed over to congratulate their senior goalie Hannah Coleman.

It is recognizable that the team is united and will never back down from a challenge. “Massapequa Field Hockey is a family and I couldn’t thank this program for all they have taught me.” Hannah Coleman said.

Hannah was overjoyed about the experience. “Winning counties as a senior is something that i’ve been looking forward to for a long time.” Hannah  said. “This season was a fresh start for us and I couldn’t be prouder of my team than I am right now.”

The team will continue their journey to states as they play in the Long Island Championship at Berner Middle School on Saturday, November 3rd.

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes
  • Sports

Petrakis and company triumph over Baldwin for Homecoming win

• Editorial

Addressing and analyzing the new safety policies at MHS

• Massapequa Field Hockey team takes home the county championships

Features

An experience out of this hemisphere

News

The results are in for the sixth grade move

News

Starting off the new school year with big changes

Online Exclusives

Spirit Week 2018

Sports

MHS Baseball team wins state championships

A&E

Is the Star Wars franchise beginning to sink?

News

School library slated for new modern look this upcoming fall

News

Lights, Camera, and Layups: How one MHS student’s dream came true

Massapequa High School's chief source of news.