The Chief

The World Series is a Home Run for Baseball Fans

Ryan Pagano, Staff Writer

October is an exciting month for many sports fans, as the MLB World Series takes place during this month. This year’s Fall Classic featured two dominant teams: the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros.
The Dodgers appeared to be the favorites to win it all, as they came off the regular season with the MLB’s best record of 104 wins and 58 losses.
With pitching led by starting pitchers Clayton Kershaw, Yu Darvish, Alex Wood, former Long Island Duck Rich Hill, and closer Kenley Jansen, as well as a lineup that contains young stars like Cody Bellinger, Corey Seager, Yasiel Puig, and former Met Justin Turner, they appeared to have the ability to win their first World Series title since 1988.
Their opponent, the Houston Astros, had never won a World Series championship since entering the league in 1962.
They are led by a lineup that contains young stars like Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, George Springer, Alex Bregman, as well as a pitching staff led by Dallas Keuchel, Justin Verlander, Lance McCullers, and closer Ken Giles. These two loaded teams paved the way for an epic World Series.
Game 1 seemed as if it were going to be a pitcher’s duel, with former award winners Clayton Kershaw and Dallas Keuchel starting against each other. Kershaw had only allowed one hit throughout the first 3 innings; however, that changed when Alex Bregman homered on a 1-1 pitch to tie the game at 1-1.
Justin Turner connected on another Dodger home run to give L.A. the 3-1 lead. Los Angeles would not look back from there, as the Dodgers won 3-1.
In Game 2, former Long Island Duck Rich Hill started for L.A. against Houston’s Justin Verlander. Hill started out strong, but he got into trouble in the 3rd when Alex Bregman singled to put the Astros on top 1-0.
Verlander didn’t get into trouble until the 5th when Joc Pederson homered to tie the game 1-1. The very next inning, Corey Seager hit a two-run homer to give the Dodgers a 3-1 lead. Then in the 8th, Houston’s Carlos Correa singled to score Bregman and make it a one run ballgame.
In the 9th inning, Marwin Gonzalez tied the game with a home run. The game would go to extra innings and in the 10th, Altuve and Correa hit back to back home runs.
With the Astros up 5-3, the game seemed over, but not yet. Yasiel Puig homered to cut the lead to one run, and Logan Forsythe walked and advanced to second base on a wild pitch. This set the stage for L.A’s Enrique Hernandez who singled to tie the game. The game was tied 5-5, but the Astros offense stepped up yet again.
Cameron Maybin singled, and George Springer hit the go-ahead two-run homer to give Houston a 7-5 lead, a lead they would hold on to. The Astros won their first ever World Series game and sent the series back to Houston tied 1-1.
Game 3 was the first game of the series in Houston’s Minute Maid Park. Yu Darvish started for L.A. while Lance McCullers started for the Astros. McCullers was effective, only allowing one run through 5⅓ innings.
On the other side, Darvish allowed four runs in the second inning and was later taken out of the game. While the Dodgers scored a run in the 3rd inning, the Astros scored in the 5th with Evan Gattis’ making the score 5-1 Houston.
While Los Angeles scored two runs in the 6th, they would not score for the rest of the game as Brad Peacock got the save for Houston, putting them up in the series two games to one.
Game 4 appeared to be more of the same at the beginning with the Astros on top 1-0 heading into the 7th inning. Forsythe tied the game with an RBI single in that inning. In the 9th, the Dodgers offense heated up when Seager singled, Turner walked, and Cody Bellinger doubled to give L.A. a 2-1 lead. After a Houston pitching substitution, Austin Barnes hit a sacrifice fly to bring home Charlie Culberson and give them a 3-1 lead. Joc Pederson hit a two run homer to give the Dodgers a 6-1 lead and that appeared to be it for Houston. Alex Bregman homered to cut the lead to 6-2 L.A. However, the Dodgers’ pitching held on for the 6-2 victory to tie the series at two games apiece.
Game 5 saw the Dodgers’ Game 4 heroics carry on into this game early, as they scored three runs before the Astros got a chance to bat. Austin Barnes singled to give L.A. a 4-0 lead in the 4th. The Astros also got their first run in the fourth inning as Correa doubled to bring in George Springer.
Yuli Gurriel followed this with a three run homerun to tie the game at 4-4. Los Angeles would fight back, as Bellinger hit a three run homer to give his team a 3 run lead. Houston would score after this, as Jose Altuve hit a three run homer to tie the game at 7-7.
Bellinger tripled to score a run in the 7th, making the game 8-7 Dodgers. That lead would go away yet again as Springer would homer in the 7th to tie Game 5 again. Altuve later doubled to bring in a run and Correa hit a two run homer to give Houston an 11-8 lead.
Los Angeles came back in the 8th when Seager doubled to bring in a run, but Brian McCann’s solo home run put the nail in the coffin. The Dodgers weren’t done yet. Puig hit a two-run homer and with the Dodgers down to their last out, Chris Taylor singled to tie the game.
Houston would fail to score in the bottom of the 9th, forcing extra innings. In the bottom of the 10th inning, the Dodgers got the first two outs of the inning before McCann was hit by a pitch. Then, Springer would walk to put the winning run on second with Alex Bregman batting.
He would deliver, hitting a single to left field that would bring home the game-winning run. Houston would win Game 5 on a walk off base hit. This ending to Game 5 would give the Astros a 3-2 series lead, sending the series back to Dodger Stadium.
Game 6 was a must-win game for the Dodgers. Springer homered to give Houston an early 1-0 lead. In the 6th inning the Dodger bats heated up when Austin Barnes singled, Chase Utley was hit by a pitch, and Chris Taylor doubled to tie the game. Seager would hit a sacrifice fly to bring in a run, and the Dodgers were up 2-1. Joc Pederson hit a solo homer in the 7th to seal the game. The Dodgers would win to send the Series to a Game Seven.
This game was a rematch between the Game 3 starting pitchers, as Lance McCullers started for Houston while Yu Darvish started for the Dodgers. Darvish allowed 5 runs in 1⅔ innings.
Desperate for great pitching at this point in the game, the Dodgers brought in their ace Clayton Kershaw to shut down the Astros offense. While he did solid, allowing no runs over four innings, the Dodger bats never provided any offense.
While they got a run in the 6th inning, the series was pretty much over. Corey Seager grounded out to Jose Altuve to end the baseball season. Just like that, a champion was crowned as the Astros won their first ever World Series championship.
George Springer was named the 2017 World Series MVP, after hitting home runs in each of the last four games of the World Series.
With the 2017 baseball season over, it is time to start looking forward to next season. Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training on February 13, and Opening Day is on March 29.

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes
Massapequa High School's chief source of news.