Massapequa High School's chief source of news.

The Chief

Capes, crusaders, and more: Comic-Con 2017 Recap

Kiera Pagano

Kiera Pagano

Michael Riggi, Managing Editor

This year’s annual San Diego Comic-Con did not fail to deliver the annual thrills, chills, and jaw-dropping moments fans wait months for every year.
Whether it be panels, sneak peeks, or even crazy cosplay, Comic-Con offers something for everyone in attendance and watching from home.
In a competition for box office numbers and television viewings when entertainment is at its prime, Comic-Con has become larger than ever before. Even though Comic-Con may be months old, the upcoming movies, tv shows, and more dropped at this year’s convention will be discussed for years to come.

Marvel and DC
Superhero giants Marvel and DC headlined this year’s event with various sneak previews and trailer releases of many highly anticipated future projects.
In the battle for the silver screen, Marvel put their best effort forward and delivered on their showcase of various previews for upcoming films in the MCU. Besides teasing films such as Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018), Black Panther (2018), and Captain Marvel (2019), Marvel released an online trailer of Thor Ragnarok (2017) and a first look at the much anticipated Avengers: Infinity War (2018) for those in attendance.
On the smaller screen, Marvel teased their upcoming Netflix shows including The Punisher (2017) and the already released Defenders (2017), as well as shows on other platforms including Runaways (2017) on Hulu and Inhumans (2017) on broadcast television.
In direct competition with Marvel, DC hit hard with the announcement of new films and the teasing of other films in the continually expanding DCEU. Not only did the reveal/sneak peeks of upcoming movies such as Shazam! (2019), Wonder Woman 2 (2019), and Flashpoint (2020) surprise fans, but a new trailer for the highly anticipated Justice League (2017) film was met with widespread appraise.
Continuing on their successful run at Comic-Con, trailers for already existing DC shows on the CW network were previewed such as The Flash Season 4, Supergirl Season 3, Arrow Season 6, and Legends of Tomorrow Season 3. Additionally, the new DC show Black Lightning, to be premiered on the CW, was previewed at the event, the first superhero show on the network to feature an African American lead.

20th Century Fox
Popular film company 20th Century Fox also headlined the event with a new trailer of Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017), which is the much anticipated sequel to Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014). Shockingly excluded from the showcase were upcoming X-Men superhero universe films including Deadpool 2 (2018), X-Men: The New Mutants (2018), and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018).

Warner Bros.
Warner Bros. not only released a first look at the Steven Spielberg science fiction film Ready Player One (2018), but a chilling look at the upcoming Stephen King horror film It (2017) as well, which terrified the audience in attendance.

Netflix
Besides expanding their selection of Marvel shows, the dominating streaming service previewed dozens of other original content at the event. Specifically shining was the new “Thriller”-based trailer for the highly anticipated series, Stranger Things Season 2 (2017) along with the preview for the new original fantasy movie Bright (2017), starring Will Smith.

Miscellaneous TV Shows
A wide variety of other content present made 2017’s Comic-Con a success as well, including previews for shows such as The Walking Dead Season 8 (2017), American Horror Story: Cult (2017), and a new look at the anticipated CBS show Star Trek: Discovery (2017).
Not only did this year’s Comic-Con build hype around a variety of new shows and movies for the end of the year, but it solidified the promise that there will be many great movies and original television shows to come in the years ahead.

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes
  • Capes, crusaders, and more: Comic-Con 2017 Recap

Opinion

Student speaks out against newly blocked websites

Online Exclusives

Gibbons, Chiefs’ Show up and Show out for Homecoming

Online Exclusives

Spirit Week: Color Wars

Online Exclusives

Spirit Week: Pajama Day

Online Exclusives

Dig Pink, MHS Girls Volleyball Plays for a Cure

Features

Debated Sixth Grade Move Proceeds As Originally Planned

News

Chiefs baseball takes home Long Island championship

News

MHS art students paint the town blue (and gold)

News

Long Island school lead levels in water leading to concern

News

13 Reasons Why: welcome to your article